3/15/2012

via ApologetiX Fan Club Newsletter, March 15, 2012

J. Jackson, lead singer and lyricist for ApologetiX here.

The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was a popular Indian guru who developed the concept of Transcendental Meditation, gaining worldwide fame through his association with the Beatles, although they didn't stay his disciples for long.

One rock star who remained devoted was Mike Love, lead singer for the Beach Boys, whom many people regard as the antithesis of cosmic consciousness. I recently read this quote from Love in the Beach Boys bio "Heroes and Villains":

"And one of the greatest things that interested me was that (the Maharishi) said, 'You don't have to give up your Rolls-Royce ... and forsake all your pursuits of material pleasures ... to develop inner spiritual qualities.' That sounded real good to me."

I'm sure that sounds real good to a lot of people. I just can't help thinking of something another spiritual leader said to another rich young man: "One thing you lack. Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Mark 10:21).

Sure, I still have possessions. But as I look back to when I came to Christ, it happened as I was in the midst of giving away my most prized possessions -- my records and cassettes. I felt like they had taken the place of God in my life. The more I gave away or sold, the freer I felt.

Ironically, the first record I ever bought was the Beach Boys' Endless Summer. The first cassette? The Beach Boys' Spirit of America. The Beach Boys also had their first number-one hit the week I was born and their last number-one hit the year I was born again.

© 2004 Parodudes, Inc.
http://www.apologetix.com/
Hear free samples of ApologetiX songs: http://itunes.apple.com/artist/apologetix/id251478046

(Disclaimer: Information from newsletter, uploaded only for educational purposes.)

No comments:

The Greatest Story Ever Told

¡Esta Fue Tu Vida!